Monday, February 18, 2008
The Advantages Of Handcrafted Jewelry
What is handmade jewelry and why is it becoming so popular?
Handmade jewelry is made by individuals with the aid of simple tools. To be truly handmade, nothing should be machine made and as such, it is truly unique. The uniqueness is what makes handmade jewelry valuable and popular in this age of mass production and computer aided designs. Handmade jewelry is a work of art.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of handmade jewelry?
1. It is unique, no one else has the same item. No two items are alike and there are people who are willing to pay for the uniqueness of handmade jewelry.
2. Generally, more durable than the machine made jewelry. Many who are in the handmade jewelry business are there not just to make money but also to practice something they love doing. Since they love jewelry making, their creations are usually made with the utmost care and dedication.
3. Makes for an interesting conversation piece because there is usually a story behind most handmade jewelry.
4. An expression of one's individualism. There are handmade jewelry pieces that the majority wouldn't care to wear but there are those who see them as an expression of who they are. And since no one else has that item, then the wearer is truly unique.
5. Could be a valuable item in time particularly if the creator becomes a popular artist. This has happened in other art forms where the value of the items go up with their creator's rise to fame. It sometimes pays to invest in really good pieces of art.
See related articles: