- Set It And Forget It: NO! Do not leave your hair up for more than about eight weeks. During that eight week time span your hair and your scalp have shed and need to be cleaned.
- Beauty Is Pain: NO! Do not choose styles that cause your hair to be pulled so tight that either your scalp is tender, your scalp is bleeding and/or your hair breaks (breakage is different then hair shedding).
- Care-free is For Me: NO! Do not think that because your hair is in a protective style that it does not need to be cared for, you must determine when you need to moisturize your hair and scalp while maintaining your protective style.
- Go Big or Go Home: NO! Do not choose complicated styles that require your hair and scalp to be tortured, leading to hair breakage or hair thinning or damage to the scalp.
- Take It Easy: NO! Do not go into a protective styles thinking that you can take it easy, prepare your hair with for battle just you would in their regular hair routine.
Wednesday, May 18, 2016
5 Myth Busters: Protective Stylin' and Profilin'
As natural hair sistah's we love, love, love to keep our curly and coily hair protected from heat, stress (from braiding) and tension (from braiding, combing and brushing). And one of the BEST benefits of protecting our hair with protective styling is that when we wake up and go about the task of getting ready for the day you don't have to do much of anything if anything to your hair. With that being said, protective styles do have limits and should not be abused, as these same styles can cause more damage then they were intended to do. We have five myths that we will bust today: